Kentucky Foundation for Women Workshop
Cultural Organizing Workshop Agenda
Kentucky Women's Foundation
Saturday 11/19 10-5
9:30-10:00 Gather, with coffee
10:00-10:10 Advertised start time
10:10-10:40 Welcome; Review purpose and begin introductions
First Pair Shares- 2 min each = 4 min
- What is your name?
- Where you are from?
- Tell us a little bit about your work
-What is your first memory of culture being present in your life, whatever that means to you?
Introduce your partner - 6 min
Second Pair Shares- 2 min each = 4 min
- How you came to this work, whatever that means to you?
Six word memoir - 6 min
10:40-10:55 Group Agreements
10:55-11:15 Cultural Organizing - Working Definition - Words & Concepts
11:15-12:00 Small group discussions on individual folks' work, as related to working definition
1) What about the definition resonated with you and how?
2) What questions do you have about this?
3) What about your history/lived experience informs your creative practice?
12:00-12:15 Report back/Draw out values & principles
1:00-1:20 The Hows/METHODS of Cultural Organizing: brainstorm list
1:20-1:50 Short Demonstrations/explanations of other methods
1:50-3:00 Strategic Power Mapping
- Intro to levels of change: personal, interpersonal/relational, cultural/social, institutional/political
-Look at state of KY and how folks' work intersect/support each other -- look for synergies or places of potential collaboration
3:15-3:45 Image Theater/Freeze Frame: series of 5-10 words
3:45-4:25 Small Groups - Issue-based Affinity Groups, Ricardo Levins Morales - poster to open
- Talk about the eco-system that you all collectively represent... OR The relationships between your work
- Given the affinity group that you are in, what are the other sectors that you need to be in relationship with and why?
-How could you become more effective working together?
Debrief: 2 min report back from each group.
4:25-5:00 Closing Intentions you are leaving with; Is there someone you want to connect with
Evaluation: plus/delta with suggestion